- This event has passed.
Sunday Gathering and Aftersession
October 11 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Sunday Gathering, October 11 from 10-10:50 a.m. Pastor Dana will offer reflections from Paul’s Letter from prison to the Philippians – chapter 2:1-7. Paul talks about the unifying qualities of humbleness and consideration of others, and their value in lifting each other up in times of strife and struggle. We will be having some breakout room time again this week for sharing.
- Aftersession: October 11 from 11 a.m. to noon Discussion of Upcoming Ballot Measures. Martha Beattie, who is the chairperson of the League of Women Voters of San Jose/Santa Clara Pros and Cons Speakers (and a church member), will be talking with us. She has chosen three state propositions to discuss which will leave plenty of time for questions and discussion. They are:
- Proposition 16, Allows Diversity as Factor in Public Employment, Education, Contracting Decisions, A Legislative Constitutional Amendment
- Proposition 24, Amends Consumer Privacy Laws, An Initiative Statute
- Proposition 25, Referendum on Law that Replaced Money Bail with System Based on Public Safety and Flight Risk
If you want to do some homework, see:
- Concise explanations of state propositions easyvoterguide.org
- LWVC Education Fund: Pros and Cons (one-page summaries) – cavotes.org
For the deep dive, look up everything on your ballot by entering your address at https://votersedge.org/ca It has information on candidates (they are asked questions geared to their office; the site shows how much money they have raised and who their top contributors are) as well as Propositions and Local Measures (the site gives information on what organizations have endorsed, more complete information about each measure, opinion pieces, as well as how much money has been raised supporting and opposing)